Wednesday, July 27, 2016

A Dresser for Audrey

Share it Please


It's been a little bit, but I'm back today with a sweet dresser makeover that was a custom order for my sister in law. My little niece who is 2 1/2, is close to graduating to a big girl bed and the change table that holds all of her clothing is disappearing along with her crib.

She was looking for a dresser in all white with zero distressing so that she could mix and match pieces of furniture but still keep with the clean lines and versatility that all white furniture offers.




I picked up this dresser locally and it was in relatively good condition. It had some normal wear and tear with a few scratches but the design is sweet and simple. You can see from the photo that at some point the original handles were replaced with wooden knob handles and wooden plugs to fill the holes that were leftover. The pre-drilled holes were not standard sizes so I knew that I would be filling them in. I thought about putting on some beautiful glass knobs, but the holes for the knobs were slightly off center. Rather that filling 3 holes per side and then drilling out a new one for a center knob, I went with a slightly large cup pull so that it covered any shadowing that might be cast on where the extra holes were originally after I filled and sanded them.




After I sanded and washed down the dresser, it was time to break out the Simplicity paint from Coutry Chic Paint in the chalk style. After the first coat of paint I discovered that this dresser was going to be a bleeder. Stains with red pigmentation can bleed through paint sometimes and most furniture painters come across a piece like this at some point but I thought that I was safe with the stain that was on this dresser. Apparently not. So, to prevent this you can use a stain blocker paint like Killz, Tough Coat or a spray shellac. I choose a spray shellac because it was sitting beside me at the time, it's ideal for spot treatments, and it dries quickly.

It took 7 coats of paint and 4 coats of shellac spot treatments to stop all of the bleed through. I have to admit that this was the first time that I have ever come across such a problem like this, and it ended up being a project that I started to lose interest in. With each coat, the stubborn staining just kept popping up like a bad rash, but I persevered because I wanted that meticulous, pristine white finish ...and it was a custom order ;)




Just adding the white paint and changing up the knobs made such a difference and brought this tired dresser back to life. It also helped to conceal the fact that the top of the dresser was not original. At some point in it's life, it had been replaced with a fir top and painted brown to try to match it to the rest of the dresser. I finished off the dresser with a light sanding and a coat of Country Chic Paint Natural Wax for protection.




Sharing with:

No comments:

Post a Comment

All Content and Images are © of The Painted Poppy Studio 2015