Monday, February 8, 2016

What Was One Is Now Two!

Share it Please

These sweet little bedside tables came a long way from the children's sized waterfall vanity that they once were. You know the kind. The unwanted vanity with the broken mirror that had 3 sloppy coats of of paint, complete with thick drips, brush strokes and a family of spiders thrown in for good measure? *SHUDDERS* I really know how to pick them! Now in my defense, this was a facebook shopping group find with a crummy smart phone photo from a distance and Mr. PPS picked it up for me. All that said, I still have a soft spot for trash to treasure pieces.


When Mr. PPS arrived home with this I have to admit that my heart sunk a little when I discovered that the bottom drawers were jammed in tightly. When I finally got them opened (with quite a bit of prying) my heart almost stopped with the discovery of the family of spiders! I can handle rats, snakes and any other kind of creepy crawly...but I draw the line at the 8 legged variety!

I purchased this piece with the full intent to separate the ends for bedside tables. They did need some patching after cutting them apart and some glue to secure the decorative feet. If I'm being honest, this was never a quality built piece to begin with...and it most likely was stored outside in a carport for sometime. Needless to say that it needed a wee bit of help.


After taking care of the structural issues, I started layering on the paint. I started with Marzipan Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint and then adding Ironstone right over top. I purposely crackled the paint with a hairdryer and then distressed it gently to reveal the layers of paints. I knew that I would eventually arrive back to the the blue, so I tried to pick some coordinating papers to decorate the drawers with so that it all blended together for the finished product.


These papers are from an old designer paper pack from about 6 years ago. Once upon a time ago, I used to make a lot of cards so these came in handy just hanging around my craft room :) I glued them down and sealed them with modpodge and then waxed the entire table with a custom tint of dark grey wax to fill in all of the nooks and crannies and to highlight the crackled paint. The final step was the inside of the drawers - they were sanded and cleaned/conditioned with Hemp Oil so that they were fresh again. Some new hardware was added and now they have a whole new persona :)


Sharing with:

5 comments:

  1. Love the pretty papers you decoupaged onto the drawer fronts - such a gorgeous makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is a real trash to treasure. Fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The paper and knobs that you chose are so pretty! I had a similar piece that wasn't salvageable except for a few parts. Super repurpose! I would love it if you would share it on Friday's Furniture Fix http://www.patinaparadise.com/2016/02/fridays-furniture-fix-26.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a creative way to repurpose and unwanted piece! Thanks for linking up to our party :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to let you know that your project will be featured tomorrow morning on Friday's Furniture Fix! ;o)

    ReplyDelete

All Content and Images are © of The Painted Poppy Studio 2015